1. Who will be honoured with the Billboard’s 2019 Woman of the Year award?
A. Billie Eilish
B. Taylor Swift
D. Lady Gaga
2. The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has launched which satellite from Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh by Polar Satellite Launching Vehicle C47?
B. CARTOSAT 3
3. Name the state which will set up the state’s first vulture conservation and breeding centre?
C. Madhya Pradesh
D. Uttar Pradesh
4. Renowned personality Sudhir Dar passed away recently, he was a veteran __________.
D. Song Writer
E. Social Activist
5. Renowned personality Bala Singh passed away recently, he was a veteran __________.
E. Social Activist
Answers and Explanations
1. Answer -
• Singer Billie Eilish (17-year) has been named as Billboard’s 2019 Woman of the Year.
• Billie Eilish is the youngest artist ever to be named Billboard’s Woman of the Year.
• Billie has disrupted the entertainment industry through her music and social media platforms, leaving an indelible impact on the global cultural zeitgeist.
• Eilish gets her crown during the Billboard Women in Music event on 12th December this year.
2. Answer -
• Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has launched India’s most sophisticated Earth observation satellite Cartosat-3 and 13 US nanosatellites from Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh.
• The launch enhanced India's ability in high-resolution imaging and also reinforce India as a global launch destination for small satellites using its workhorse rocket Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle.
• According to ISRO, the 1,625 kg Cartosat-3 is an advanced agile satellite to obtain panchromatic and multispectral imagery with an operational life of five years.
• The advanced earth observation and imaging satellite will be used for weather mapping, cartography or army defence and other strategic applications.
3. Answer -
• The Uttar Pradesh government will set up state's first vulture conservation and breeding centre in farenda area of Maharajganj district.
• The new centre will be set up on the lines of Jatayu Conservation Centre at Pinjore in Haryana (first in the country).
• It would be set up in association with Bombay Natural History Society, a wildlife research organization.
4. Answer -
• Cartoonist Sudhir Dar (87-years) passed away due to cardiac arrest in Noida.
• Sudhir Dar began his career with The Statesman (in 1961), after which he moved to the Hindustan Times.
• Dar’s cartoons were often political in nature, often taking direct shots at the bureaucracy and the general corruption in Indian politics.
5. Answer -
• Tamil television and film actor Bala Singh (67-years) passed away in a private hospital in Chennai.
• Bala Singh was known for playing villainous roles with much aplomb.
• He played notable characters in Kamal Haasan's Indian, Ullaasam, Simmarasi, Dheena, Virumaandi, Saamy, Kannathil Muthamittal, Pudhupettai and many more films.
• Bala was last seen in the serial Aathira as Rajarajan in the year 2016.