Directions (1-5): Read the following information carefully and then answer the questions given below it.
1. Be a graduate in Engineering discipline with at least 50% marks
2. Have passed XIIth examination with at least aggregate percentage of 60% in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
3. Have passed the written examination
4. Have passed group discussion and interview with at least 50% marks
5. Not be more than 22 years as on 15th July, 1994.
In case of a candidate who satisfies all other criteria except:
1. A above, in terms of percentage of marks but has secured 90% marks in graduation, may be appointed.
2. C above, but is a post-graduate in Engineering is to be referred to the Director-Personnel.
3. A above, but has appeared in the final degree examination, may be provisionally appointed.
Based on the above criteria and information provided below, decide the course of action in each case. You are not to assume anything. If the data provided is not adequate to decide the given course of action, your answer will be `data inadequate’. These case are given to you as on 1st June, 1994.
1. Priya Mirchandani has secured 70% aggregate marks in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics in XIIth Std. and 80% in graduation in Metallurgy and 50% in Post-graduation. She was born on 25th Feb, 1972. She has passed the written examination and has secured 55% marks both in group discussion and interview.
A. Appoint provisional
B. Don’t appoint
C. Refer to Director – Personnel
E. Data inadequate
2. Seema Malhotra has secured 60% marks in graduation in Chemical Engineering and 70% aggregate marks in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics in XIIth Std. She will be 23 years old on 10th Aug, 1995. She has passed the written examination and has secured 55% marks both in group discussion and interview.
A. Data inadequate
B. Appoint provisionally
D. Don’t appoint
E. Refer to Director – Personnel
3. Sandip Malhotra has appeared in final degree examination in Mechanical Engineering. He has secured 70% aggregate marks in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics in XIIth Std. He has passed the written examination and has secured 75% marks in both group discussion and interview. He was born on 15th April, 1972.
A. Do not appoint
B. Refer to Director – Personnel
C. Appoint provisionally
E. Data inadequate
4. Ashok Taneja has secured 90% aggregate marks in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics in XIIth Std. He is yet to wait for the result of the final degree examination in Electronics. He has passed the written examination in Electronics. He has passed and secured 60% marks both in group discussion and interview. He was born on 19th July, 1972.
A. Data inadequate
B. Don’t appoint
C. Refer to Director
E. Appoint provisionally
5. Samit Gupta was born on 19th March, 1971. He has secured 60% marks in both graduation and post-graduation in Civil Engineering. He has passed written examination and has secured 60% marks both in group discussion and interview.
A. Refer to Director – Personnel
B. Don’t appoint
C. Appoint Provisionally
D. Data inadequate
6. Direction: Each question presents a situation and asks you to make a judgment regarding that particular circumstance. Choose an answer based on given information.
Eileen is planning a special birthday dinner for her husband's 35th birthday. She wants the evening to be memorable, but her husband is a simple man who would rather be in jeans at a baseball game than in a suit at a fancy restaurant. Which restaurant below should Eileen choose?
A. Alfredo's offers fine Italian cuisine and an elegant Tuscan decor. Patrons will feel as though they've spent the evening in a luxurious Italian villa.
B. Pancho's Mexican Buffet is an all-you-can-eat family style smorgasbord with the best tacos in town.
C. The Parisian Bistro is a four-star French restaurant where guests are treated like royalty. Chef Dilbert Olay is famous for his beef bourguignon.
D. Marty's serves delicious, hearty meals in a charming setting reminiscent of a baseball clubhouse in honor of the owner, Marty Lester, a former major league baseball all-star.
: Since Eileen's husband does not enjoy fancy restaurants, choices a and c can be ruled out. Choice b, although casual, doesn't sound as though it would be the kind of special and memorable evening that Eileen is looking for. Choice d, which is owned by a former baseball star and is described as "charming" and "reminiscent of a baseball clubhouse", sounds perfect for Eileen's husband, who is described as a baseball fan and a man with simple tastes.
7. A man pointing to a photograph says, “The lady in the photograph is my nephew’s maternal grandmother.” How is the lady in the photograph related to the man’s sister who has no other sister?
8. Select the related letters from the given alternatives:
DCEF : QPRS :: XWYZ : ?
9. A, B, C, D and E are standing in a line facing North. E is standing 40 metres left to B. A is standing 20 metres left to C. D is standing 20 metres right to E and 50 metres right to C. Where is B standing from D?
A. 20 metres right
B. 30 metres right
C. 40 metres right
D. 40 metres left
10. The neighborhood block association has received many complaints about people knocking on doors and soliciting money for an unknown charity organization even though door-to-door solicitation is prohibited by local laws. Three residents have provided descriptions of individuals who have come to their door asking for money.
Solicitor #1 is a white male, 20-25 years old, 5'9" and 145 pounds, with very short brown hair. He was wearing a dark blue suit and carrying a brown leather briefcase.
Solicitor #2 is a white male, 25-30 years old, 6'2" and 200 pounds, with a shaved-head. He was wearing a red T-shirt and jeans.
Solicitor #3 is a white male, approximately 23 years old, 5'10" and slight build, with short brown hair. He was wearing a blue suit.
Three days after the block association meet- ing, a resident noticed a man knocking on doors in the neighborhood and phoned the police to report the illegal activity. This solic- itor was described as follows:
Solicitor #4 is a white male, 22 years old, 140 pounds, about 5'10", with short brown hair. He was carrying a briefcase and wearing a dark suit.
Based on this description, which of the three solicitations was also likely carried out by Solicitor #4?
A. #1, #2, and #3
B. #1, but not #2 and #3
C. #1 and #3, but not #2
D. #1 and #2, but not #3
: The solicitor described as #2 has a shaved head and is much taller and heavier than the solicitors described as #1 and #3. Therefore, choices a and d, which include #2, can be ruled out. Solicitors #1, #3, and #4 have such similar descriptions that the correct answer is clearly choice c.
11. Direction: Select the related word/letters/number from the given alternatives.
MAN : BIOGRAPHY : : NATION : ?
: Biography tells what has happened in the life of a man and history tells what has happened in the nation in past.
12. The total of the ages of Amar, Akbar and Anthony is 80 years. What was the total of their ages three years ago?
A. 71 years
B. 72 years
C. 74 years
D. 77 years
: Required sum = (80 - 3 x 3) years = (80 - 9) years = 71 years.
13. Look at this series: 7, 10, 8, 11, 9, 12, ... What number should come next?
: This is a simple alternating addition and subtraction series. In the first pattern, 3 is added; in the second, 2 is subtracted.
14. Direction: In each of the following questions, five words have been given out of which four are alike in some manner, while the fifth one is different. Choose the word which is different from the rest.
Choose the word which is different from the rest.
15. Marathon is to race as hibernation is to
: A marathon is a long race and hibernation is a lengthy period of sleep. The answer is not choice a or b because even though a bear and winter are related to hibernation, neither completes the analogy. (Choice c) is incorrect because sleep and dream are not synonymous.
Identify the missing square