The Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC) is the prime authority of GMAT. It has no specific eligibility criteria set for GMAT. Here are a few directions were given by GMAC for all aspirants:
GMAT Test Dates
Unlike GRE, GMAT does not have specific test dates. It can be taken anytime at your own ease. A candidate should aim to take up a GMAT exam only when one feels fully prepared to do so. However, it is advisable to schedule exam at least 21 days prior to respective application deadline.
GMAT Test Center
Once registered, it is advisable to find the nearest testing center. As weekend dates tend to fill up quickly, it is advisable to register for GMAT exam in advance or otherwise the candidate will have to travel some distance to reach the testing center assigned on a specific date.
The registration fee charged by the GMAC from each candidate is $250. Although many of the applicants find it too much, however, it is relatively cheaper than the MBA investment that one may otherwise make. If the candidate is opting to reschedule the exam more than 7 days in advance, a $50 fee is charged. If the rescheduling of the test is done within 7 days, the $250 registration fee
has to be paid again.
Documents to Carry to the Testing Centers
While a passport
is a must to have while going to a testing center, some other forms of ID proofs that candidate must consider carrying are:
- International travel passport
- Government-issued driver's license
- Military ID card
- Government-issued national/ state/ province ID card.
Note that the ID must not be expired. It should be current and legible. At the time of the exam, the test administrator shall digitally take fingerprint, signature, and/or palm vein pattern, and a photograph of the candidate. Audio and video are recorded in the testing room at all centers during the exam. Anyone who refuses to participate in any part of the check-in process shall not be permitted to sit for the exam. Further, any refusal made regarding the audio/video recording, the candidate will not be permitted to take the test and the test fee shall be forfeit.
On the Test Day
- Make sure well in advance the way to reach the test center. Plan travel in advance according to the traffic situation in the area.
- It is better to reach at least 30 minutes prior to the scheduled GMAT.
- Post-arrival, do make a check-in. This is because if the candidate arrives more than 30 minutes late, one may not be admitted to give the exam.
- Checking of documents (as mentioned above) is a part of the check-in procedure.
- Every test center has to adhere to the Testing Rules & Agreement. Do check them before reaching the location.
- Personal items are not permitted. Testing aids are not allowed. Therefore, a candidate will have to store all personal belongings before sitting for the exam.